Risks of Abortion
After an abortion there may be serious complications such as:
- Heavy or persistent vaginal bleeding
- Infection or sepsis
- Damage to the cervix
- Scarring of the uterine lining
- Perforation of the uterus
- Damage to other organs
Seek immediate medical attention from the nearest emergency room if you experience any of the following after an abortion:
- Severe vaginal bleeding. Both medical and surgical abortions usually cause bleeding that is different than a normal menstrual period. Severe bleeding can mean:
- Passing clots that are bigger than a golf ball, lasting 2 or more hours.
- Soaking more than 2 large pads in an hour, for 2 hours in a row.
- Bleeding heavily for 12 hours in a row.
- Signs of infection in your whole body, such as headache, muscle aches, dizziness, or a general feeling of illness. Severe infection is possible without fever.
- Severe pain in the belly that is not relieved by pain medication, rest, or heat application.
- Hot flushes or a fever of 100.4°F (38°C) or higher that lasts longer than 4 hours.
- Vomiting lasting more than 4 to 6 hours.
- Sudden abdominal swelling.
- Rapid heart rate or palpitations.
- Vaginal discharge that has increased in amount or smells bad.
- Pain, swelling, or redness in the genital area.
You should come in to see a medical provider if you experience any of the following:
- Vaginal bleeding (not spotting) longer than 2 weeks
- New, unexplained symptoms, which could be caused by medications used in your treatment
- No menstrual period within 6 weeks after the procedure
- Signs and symptoms of depression
Sometimes after an abortion, a woman suffers from Post-Abortion Syndrome that can make daily living challenging. If you are having any symptoms please call our office. Some symptoms of Post-Abortion Syndrome include:
- Avoiding children or pregnant women
- Feeling "numb"
- Thoughts of suicide
- Anniversary reminders (either of the baby’s due date or abortion date)
- Experiencing the abortion again (flashbacks)
- Wanting to get pregnant again right away
- Multiple abortions
- Problems with intimacy and frequent break-ups
- Fear of infertility
- Unable to bond with present or future children
- Fear that future children will die
- Eating disorders
- Alcohol and drug use
We have a support group that meets monthly here at our office. Meetings are at 9:30am once a month on Saturdays. For more information and questions contact Wendy at 480-298-3245 firstname.lastname@example.org or Karen at 480-329-6795 email@example.com (link to schedule)